When Angry Birds Won’t Do

Turnkey Promotions sword blog image My editor and marketing chick (minion of Satan)(Goddess of Light) says every blog doesn’t need to be deep and cause birth pains, that I should just write. I took that to mean it shouldn’t pain me. You, she wasn’t as concerned about.

Words. They are at least 7% of how we communicate with each other, if you believe, as I do, that the other 93% is tone, visual, context, etc. Words are the sword, the weapon. A large part of the other 93% is the skill and nuance of using those weapons. And, weaponry makes advances.

  • Genderalization: Generalizing regarding the attributes of a gender. Saying men can’t tell the difference between teal and green is a genderalization.
  • Futilitarian: Believing that human hopes are vain and unjustified. “Hoping someone will put the dishes into the dishwasher is futilitarian.”
  • Whobody: Like “anybody,” but a question. “Whobody there?” (Meaning “Anybody I’d consider a ‘who to know’ at the party?”)
  • HTML:  To get ready to post on the web. “Can you HTML it?”
  • Logorrhea: Incoherent, repetitious speech.
  • Cluttertail: The detritus left behind as a 16-year-old boy moves through any habitat, typically consisting of dirty socks, iPods, chewing gum wrappers, and the disassembled parts of ink pens.

At least two of these words are solid (which means “real”). What words would you like to share?

PS: My English major sister-in-law itches as I make up words. She writhes in pain as the language shifts beneath her Scrabble board. She whacks teenagers on the street when she suspects they are texting LOL or using “u” for “you.” This likely won’t be her favorite blog. No matter. I think she’s futilitarian.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s